The government currently provides additional funding of £150 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
The aim of this funding is to:
- Increase participation rates in such activities as games, dance, gymnastics, swimming and athletics.
- Increase and improve success in competitive school sports.
- Ensure an inclusive physical education curriculum.
- Ensure children experience a range of provisional and alternative sporting activities.
- Improve partnership work on physical education with other schools and other local partners.
- Increase links with other subjects that contribute to pupils’ overall achievement and their greater social, spiritual, moral and cultural skills.
- Ensure greater awareness amongst pupils about the dangers of obesity, smoking and other such activities that undermine pupils’ health.
Funding will be allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase pupils, including: primary, middle, special and non-maintained special schools, academies and pupil referral units from 1 September 2013. A typical primary school will receive about £17,000 annually.
- Sports Premium Report – 2021/22
- Sports Premium Report – 2020/21
- Sports Premium Report – 2019/20
- Sports Premium Report – 2018/19
- Sports Premium Report – 2017/18
- Sports Premium Report – 2016/17
- Sports Premium Report – 2015/16
- Sports Premium Report – 2014/15
- Sports Premium Report – 2013/14